Sunday, March 8, 2009


Today was my first volunteer outing with the Kappa Kappa Gamma Advisory Board and House Board for the Emory chapter. We spent the afternoon at a place called MedShare, where they organize, box and ship medical equipment to needy places around the world (Columbia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda, etc.). We first began boxing up respitory supplies - ventilator tubes, oxygen masks, tracheotomy equipment. All sorts of things that looked very technical. It was a good feeling knowing that you were helping needy patients around the globe get the necessary things they need to recover. We then moved on to the urinary category and were sorting catheters and leg bags and all sorts of things that I wasn't too sure about touching at first. However, I guess like doctors do, we got a bit immune to it all after a while. Overall, it was a very fulfilling day! They take volunteers every weekend from 9-12 and 1-4, so I'm thinking I might head back over there another weekend. Or use my community service day at work to help out there.

No comments: